FCC Minutes 03/07/2017

Fairlie Community Council Minutes 03/07/2017

  • Present: Rita Holmes, Karla Tully, Ian Hunter, Marco Piva, David Telford, Tom Marshall (NAC Councillor), Ian Murdoch (NAC Councillor), Calum Corral (press), David McNeur (Fairlie Castle Activist), PC Dominic Murphy, John Riddell (Fairlie Community Trust), and 9 members of the public.
  • Apologies: Joan Downie, Alan Hill (NAC Councillor), David Nairn
  • Last meeting’s minutes: Proposed DT; 2nd RH
  • Police update

Incidents –24; Mainly related to traffic issues (7 for one car parked illegally); 1 car abandoned by car wash due to a blown tyre; 2 disturbances leading to arrests at Kelburn music festival;

DM stated hat he had used speed gun twice in last month to raise awareness. Offer to take a FCC member on speed checks declined at this time.

Dawn Home traffic island: DM to raise as safety concern and to contact Transport Scotland.

5) NAC Councillors’ Update

Ian Murdoch, Independent Councillor: IM stated that he concentrates on local issues rather than involving self in political decisions as not affiliated to a political party. IM met with Transerve (road maintenance company) and travelled Skelmorlie to Hunterston A78. Fairlie issues- road condition opposite top of Jetty Road and traffic island missing at Dawn Homes.

Tom Marshall, Conservative Councillor. Full NAC Council approved proposal for a Hunterston C power station and the re-development of disused Hunterston sites.

6) NOWTFF (SSE Wind Turbines)

Last Planning meeting 14/06/2017 decision suspended until flawed original noise survey re-done. Next meeting September 2017. Concerns continue that health issues not taken seriously by SSE, NHS or NAC despite local GPs now recognising the link and the symptoms. FCC and several Fairlie residents have formally complained abut the misleading and out of date information provided by Ms Henderson, Public Health Consultant for NHS. FCC also sent a formal lawyer’s letter to NAC stating damage to residents’ health and requiring operation to cease.

SSE have finally started an apprenticeship scheme after nearly 5 years of being on site. No other economic benefits seen. IM stated that he believes the planning application should be denied on lack of economic benefits alone. SSE have also invited all NAC Councillors to discuss issues with them.

MOP asked TM (Chair of Planning Committee), why NAC fail to recognise health risks, or to investigate infra sound, especially after out of court settlement in Cork, Southern Island compensating seven families for the adverse health impacts of wind turbines too close t their homes.   TM felt unable to respond at this meeting.


DT to look for details of the Environmental Impact assessment, as he questioned it’s validity.

TM to feed back details of how noise is being measured. Infra-sound is not being measured by SSE as part of the NAC requested survey.

7) Fairlie Castle

KST read from the letter received from Minister for Local Government and Housing, Kevin Stewart’s office. This letter is posted on FCC website, but in summary Scottish Ministers will not take any action, and advise that residents continue to report any infringements of environmental protection to SEPA, and activities outside of planning permission to NAC. The diversion of the path was also not seen as a concern as NAC do not recognise the original route as a ‘right of way’, despite 100+ years’ of use.   TM stated that the matter was reviewed by the Public Services Ombudsman in 2016 who concluded that there was “no maladministration on behalf of the NAC”. DMcN had also received a letter from NAC CEO June 2016, stating that the ‘matter was closed’ as far as the NAC was concerned. FCC letter to Minister was therefore last attempt to get matters reviewed.

FCC were spilt as to whether to raise the issue again with NAC, and KST will discuss with David McNeur.

8)             A78

TM provided alternative contact details for KST to chase data on traffic lights and raise concerns about the removal of the safety crossing island.

If anyone wishes to raise issues contact Transerve Control Room on 0141 218 3800.

9) Fairlie Coastal Path

RH asked JR to summarise the current situation re: path plans. JR stated that detailed drawings had been drawn up for completion of a path from Southannan to Bay Street, which was to be completed in 4 sections.

As FCT have the planing permission for some of the route, FCT have been involved in the detail to date. JR is also discussing details with all property owners adjacent to the path. Likely that the Southannan and north of Fairlie Burn to Craig Lynn sections will be completed first, as these do not need detailed owners input or Marine Scotland consent, and Sustrans have written to the NAC indicating that they could divert funds elsewhere if [physical] progress is not made by August 2017.

Marine Scotland licence has only just been applied for due to a NAC Access Department delay, meaning the most needed sections south of Bay Street to Ferry Row, and then Ferry Row to Craig Lynn, can not start until September at the earliest.

JR pointed out that due to the detailed public consultations the path widths and heights have been reduced, limiting the width to 2 metres unless the path is already wider than that. The less controversial sections are being constructed first, and the Ferry Row section is yet to be drawn up in any detail.

JR has advised NAC not to start on the Bay Street steps section until the sailing season is over.

FCC and MsOP voiced frustration that NAC will be spending money where work is not needed, and will also cause unnecessary disruption at the south section of the village.

10) Dangerous Vegetation overhanging A78 paths

This was also published in the Church News requesting that land owners cut back the overhanging foliage and branches obstructing the path at head height. Specific concerns can be raised by calling Transerve.

11) AOB

  1. Public Toilets

Zoe MaClean, who wrote to FCC in the recent Church News attended and asked FCC to work with her on applying for funding via NAC.

Other villages have managed to retain public facilities by buying the buildings from NAC. As Fairlie does not have such a closed building (the capsule toilet was removed), funding from external sources would have to be gained, plus facilities would then have to be maintained by local residents.

Action: KST to work with Zoe.

  1. Planning Application for 8 house at Southannan Estate

DT asked TM why the decision will be made by NAC Officers and not the Planning Committee as DT believes that these houses are not in the Local Development Plan. TM believes that the development is within the LDP but will check.

Next Meeting: Monday 7th August 2017


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *