Peelports held a statutory Marine Scotland Pre-Consultation event at Seamill Hydro on the 22nd February 2018. The public notice indicates that the developments at the Hunterston Platform Yard and this Consultation concerned construction of a jetty and ‘alterations’ to the abutments.
- Representatives from Peelports, Arch Henderson LLP and EnviroCentre Ltd were present but were difficult to identify and was left to the public to try and ascertain who was responsible for different aspect of the proposed development. It was impossible to engage in coherent communication and ascertain any facts as continually directed to different representatives.
- People from Isle of Bute and the Cumbraes have expressed concern that due to travel and ferry constraints that it was impracticable for them to attend the event.
- Before the event we emailed Arch Henderson LLP for further information and to express some concerns as instructed in the Public Notice. We were told that these concerns would be addressed at the Pre-Consultation event. This did not happen.
- The only information on display consisted of the HUNTERSTON PARC flyer for Jetty Expansion (below) and a plan of the Construction Yard. There is limited information contained in this flyer. The only ‘useful’ information is a photograph of the proposed Pier/Dock development location. There was no information on the dock construction or construction of the abutments or caisson gates.
- There was no information of the environmental sensitivities or impacts from this development to the Southannan SSSI.
- There was no information on how the wider proposal of oil rig decommissioning will effect the Clyde sea area.
- There was no information or social economic appraisal and how this development will effect the tourist offering of the North Coast.
- The only environmental data that was present was an ‘illegal copy’ of Clyde Porpoise CIC sightings. A poster was presented to mislead the public and give impression that EnviroCentre Ltd Consultants were working with the marine mammal project. The director of Clyde Porpoise CIC confiscated the poster (below).
Fairlie Community Council are meeting to discuss the pre-consultation event on Monday 5th March 2018. Please note that comments about the proposal and general comments about the event must be submitted by the 8th March 2018 to Arch Henderson LLP and/or Marine Scotland.