FCC Minutes 06/06/2017

Fairlie Community Council (FCC) Minutes 05/06/2017

Present: Rita Holmes (chairperson), Marco Piva (minute taker), Ian Hunter, David Telford of FCC; Cllrs. Alan Hill and Ian Murdoch of NAC; PC Dominic Murphy (Police); Calum Corral (press); 10 members of the public. Apologies: Karla Tully, Joan Downie (FCC); Kenneth Gibson MSP; Cllrs. Alec Gallagher and Tom Marshall (NAC).

Minutes of 08/05/2017 proposed by DT, seconded by IH.

1      Police report

– 27 incidents reported in May, 10 of which related to road traffic – none of those inside the village. This includes 3 reports of animals on the road. 3 crimes all related to the Kelburn Festival: 2 breaches of the peace, 1 assault
– questions re. traffic light and traffic island to be referred to Transport Scotland

2      Chairperson’s update

– Merchant Navy to organise a “Fly the Red Ensign Day” (Sept 3rd). Fairlie to organise a flag hoisting event. DT to contact bowling club and Fairlie Quay

3      NAC Councillors and MSP update

– NAC: no updates
– No MSP present

4            Hunterston SSG update

– June 1st SSG was cancelled due to elections and a planned emergency exercise
– Next meeting Sept 7th, Seamill Hydro, 1:30pm; possible meeting in Aug for changes to membership/constitution

5            NOWTTF update

– Planning committee (new chair: Cllr. Tom Marshall) to meet Wed June 14th to discuss appl. for extension
– 5 groups applied to address committee as objectors, incl. Mr. Ronald Gilchrist and Dr. Yelland (or Melvin Grosvenor). Total time available, 10 min [although AH thinks they will be granted more time if they ask for it]
– Background noise checks to commence on Tue June 13th
– 28-page report by Prof. Alun Evans uploaded on NAC Planning website
– DT: Mr. Gilchrist’s complaint letter hasn’t been logged on NAC planning website yet. This is unacceptable; letters will also be collected separately for clarity
– NHS Ayrsh. & Arran has been asked for a submission, none has been filed yet
– AH: be aware that a decision against the extension will undoubtedly be appealed against; the grounds for refusal must be clear and grounded. Offer a clear and detailed documented (not longer than a page of text) to be minuted at the committee meeting. The appeal will focus only on the official reasons for refusal
– AH: if decision is delayed (background noise report won’t be ready until late June), the earliest one will be taken is Aug
– IM: on document to present to committee, also focus on lack of job creation as was instead declared initially and on the fact that the initial agreement was for 5 years and 5 years only
– David Nairn: suggestion to also mention problems suffered by wildlife

6            Fairlie Castle update

– FCC wrote the Scot. Minister re. community dissatisfaction with how the issue was handled
– David McNeur: excavation should be stopped until scheduled monument consent is gained, they seem to be ongoing
– AH to find more details from NAC Planning

7            A78 (traffic island and “experimental” traffic light)

– no updates; KT to get in touch with Transport Scotland

8      Southannan Housing update

– DT: application for 8 new houses; FCC objected (terms of original sale mentioned no further housing, and the area is surrounded by community woodland)
– AH: on local planning the area is amber, but the wooded area is red

9      Hunterston

– no application for decommissioning of oil rigs filed, only a screening opinion asking if full environmental impact assessment is necessary; Marine Scotland involved

10      Dawn Homes

– AH: there is a draft for building of new houses, but no application. Probably won’t be filed very soon

11   FCC Finance

– printing of leaflets and posters for public meeting re NOWTFF: £60
– DT: would it be possible to apply for funding from NAC to pay for experts and consultants re. NOWTFF?
– RH: fundrising probably more effective. Consultants’ expenses until now paid by RH off her own pocket
– IH: RH and KT to be added as signatories for FCC bank account (replacing Steve Graham). No objections from FCC

12      New Computer and Printer

– funding received from Magnox; KT to make the purchase

13      FCC Membership

– Sarah Bowden working in London; David Nairn volunteered to take her place; no objections, David Nairn joins FCC

14      AOB

a: Shore Path
– John Riddle: stretch between Ferry Row and Bay Str. awaiting consent from Marine Scotland; NAC or ACOM should have advertised application for licence on paper. AH to find out if application has been filed
– the money has a timescale; AH to find out when expiration date is

b: Pavements
– low-hanging tree branches preventing circulation on East side Main Str pavements: Glen Rd to Causeway and past School Brae
– suggestion to hand out a leaflet asking residents to take care of trees in private gardens
– IM to find out who is in charge of trees growing in public areas (possibly Transerv)

Next meeting, 03/07/2017, 7.30 pm at the Semple Centre, Main Str.

FCC Minutes 03/07/2017

Fairlie Community Council Minutes 03/07/2017

  • Present: Rita Holmes, Karla Tully, Ian Hunter, Marco Piva, David Telford, Tom Marshall (NAC Councillor), Ian Murdoch (NAC Councillor), Calum Corral (press), David McNeur (Fairlie Castle Activist), PC Dominic Murphy, John Riddell (Fairlie Community Trust), and 9 members of the public.
  • Apologies: Joan Downie, Alan Hill (NAC Councillor), David Nairn
  • Last meeting’s minutes: Proposed DT; 2nd RH
  • Police update

Incidents –24; Mainly related to traffic issues (7 for one car parked illegally); 1 car abandoned by car wash due to a blown tyre; 2 disturbances leading to arrests at Kelburn music festival;

DM stated hat he had used speed gun twice in last month to raise awareness. Offer to take a FCC member on speed checks declined at this time.

Dawn Home traffic island: DM to raise as safety concern and to contact Transport Scotland.

5) NAC Councillors’ Update

Ian Murdoch, Independent Councillor: IM stated that he concentrates on local issues rather than involving self in political decisions as not affiliated to a political party. IM met with Transerve (road maintenance company) and travelled Skelmorlie to Hunterston A78. Fairlie issues- road condition opposite top of Jetty Road and traffic island missing at Dawn Homes.

Tom Marshall, Conservative Councillor. Full NAC Council approved proposal for a Hunterston C power station and the re-development of disused Hunterston sites.

6) NOWTFF (SSE Wind Turbines)

Last Planning meeting 14/06/2017 decision suspended until flawed original noise survey re-done. Next meeting September 2017. Concerns continue that health issues not taken seriously by SSE, NHS or NAC despite local GPs now recognising the link and the symptoms. FCC and several Fairlie residents have formally complained abut the misleading and out of date information provided by Ms Henderson, Public Health Consultant for NHS. FCC also sent a formal lawyer’s letter to NAC stating damage to residents’ health and requiring operation to cease.

SSE have finally started an apprenticeship scheme after nearly 5 years of being on site. No other economic benefits seen. IM stated that he believes the planning application should be denied on lack of economic benefits alone. SSE have also invited all NAC Councillors to discuss issues with them.

MOP asked TM (Chair of Planning Committee), why NAC fail to recognise health risks, or to investigate infra sound, especially after out of court settlement in Cork, Southern Island compensating seven families for the adverse health impacts of wind turbines too close t their homes.   TM felt unable to respond at this meeting.

Actions:

DT to look for details of the Environmental Impact assessment, as he questioned it’s validity.

TM to feed back details of how noise is being measured. Infra-sound is not being measured by SSE as part of the NAC requested survey.

7) Fairlie Castle

KST read from the letter received from Minister for Local Government and Housing, Kevin Stewart’s office. This letter is posted on FCC website, but in summary Scottish Ministers will not take any action, and advise that residents continue to report any infringements of environmental protection to SEPA, and activities outside of planning permission to NAC. The diversion of the path was also not seen as a concern as NAC do not recognise the original route as a ‘right of way’, despite 100+ years’ of use.   TM stated that the matter was reviewed by the Public Services Ombudsman in 2016 who concluded that there was “no maladministration on behalf of the NAC”. DMcN had also received a letter from NAC CEO June 2016, stating that the ‘matter was closed’ as far as the NAC was concerned. FCC letter to Minister was therefore last attempt to get matters reviewed.

FCC were spilt as to whether to raise the issue again with NAC, and KST will discuss with David McNeur.

8)             A78

TM provided alternative contact details for KST to chase data on traffic lights and raise concerns about the removal of the safety crossing island.

If anyone wishes to raise issues contact Transerve Control Room on 0141 218 3800.

9) Fairlie Coastal Path

RH asked JR to summarise the current situation re: path plans. JR stated that detailed drawings had been drawn up for completion of a path from Southannan to Bay Street, which was to be completed in 4 sections.

As FCT have the planing permission for some of the route, FCT have been involved in the detail to date. JR is also discussing details with all property owners adjacent to the path. Likely that the Southannan and north of Fairlie Burn to Craig Lynn sections will be completed first, as these do not need detailed owners input or Marine Scotland consent, and Sustrans have written to the NAC indicating that they could divert funds elsewhere if [physical] progress is not made by August 2017.

Marine Scotland licence has only just been applied for due to a NAC Access Department delay, meaning the most needed sections south of Bay Street to Ferry Row, and then Ferry Row to Craig Lynn, can not start until September at the earliest.

JR pointed out that due to the detailed public consultations the path widths and heights have been reduced, limiting the width to 2 metres unless the path is already wider than that. The less controversial sections are being constructed first, and the Ferry Row section is yet to be drawn up in any detail.

JR has advised NAC not to start on the Bay Street steps section until the sailing season is over.

FCC and MsOP voiced frustration that NAC will be spending money where work is not needed, and will also cause unnecessary disruption at the south section of the village.

10) Dangerous Vegetation overhanging A78 paths

This was also published in the Church News requesting that land owners cut back the overhanging foliage and branches obstructing the path at head height. Specific concerns can be raised by calling Transerve.

11) AOB

  1. Public Toilets

Zoe MaClean, who wrote to FCC in the recent Church News attended and asked FCC to work with her on applying for funding via NAC.

Other villages have managed to retain public facilities by buying the buildings from NAC. As Fairlie does not have such a closed building (the capsule toilet was removed), funding from external sources would have to be gained, plus facilities would then have to be maintained by local residents.

Action: KST to work with Zoe.

  1. Planning Application for 8 house at Southannan Estate

DT asked TM why the decision will be made by NAC Officers and not the Planning Committee as DT believes that these houses are not in the Local Development Plan. TM believes that the development is within the LDP but will check.

Next Meeting: Monday 7th August 2017

 

FCC Minutes 07/08/2017

Fairlie Community Council Minutes 07/08/2017

  • Present: Rita Holmes, Karla Tully, Marco Piva, David Telford, David Nairn, Ian Murdoch (NAC Councillor), Calum Corral (press), PC Dominic Murphy, John Riddell (Fairlie Community Trust), and 11 members of the public.
  • Apologies: Joan Downie, Ian Hunter, Tom Marshall (NAC Councillor).
  • Last meeting’s minutes: Proposed RH; 2nd DT
  • Police update

2 crimes; theft of garden tools in Community Gardens and theft from garden shed Kelburn Avenue. Believed to be same opportunist thief travelling though the village.

Incidents -16; one burnt out vehicle at base of Moor Rd stolen from Kilbirnie. Rest of no note.

Dawn Home traffic island: DM raised concern via Sgt with Transport Scotland.

5) NAC Councillors’ Update

Ian Murdoch, Independent Councillor: IM stated that A78 culvert project on NAC agenda but no clear time-scale. IM to follow up issues re: A78 safety near Dawn Homes including requests for temporary traffic lights.

6) NOWTFF (SSE Wind Turbines)

SSE have now appealed to the Scottish Government due to the time lapse in NAC making a decision. NAC binging planning meeting forward to 23rd August which means the ‘noise survey,’ will not be complete and the expert witnesses may not be available. Submissions and comments to the reporter, Colin Bell, DPEA by 17th August 2017.

RH reported that response from Colin Ramsey, NHS included some recognition that infra-sound can be a risk to health.

Actions:

RH to prepare FCC response to the appeal. All to encourage submissions to the Reporter.

7) Hunterston/Peelport Site

The future of this site is very unclear. The site is being advertised by JLL Property Marketing for potential users, all with the full support of the Scottish Government as part of its PARC strategy as follows:

“Peel Ports Group is developing Hunterston PARC to support the Scottish Government’s ‘Circular Economy’ strategy, with the co-location of material management, asset decommissioning and recycling, pre-fabrication and manufacturing, data storage, and power generation all on a single site alongside industrial research activities.
The site is expected to attract significant interest from the energy sector, with infrastructure suited for power generation, storage and exportation. Hunterston PARC is equipped to handle and process chemicals including liquefied natural gas which is increasingly powering Scottish industry and transport.”

Ron Gilchrist , MOP and known environmentalist raised concerns that this strategy could result in polluting activities from new lease holders and local residents need to be aware of the risks of industrial operations adversely polluting the village with noise and contaminants. The site should be returned to it’ original environmental state once it is decommissioned but the recent advertisement suggest Peelport have long term development plans, not that it is for sale as a whole, as believed by RG. Possible uses could be dismantling of oil rigs or similar vessels. RG asked if alternative proposals could be put forward.

KST asked what local MSP and MPs’ views are.

(Kenneth Gibson’s website has a statement on it supporting the principles of the strategy :

The deep water port energy connections and the extent of the land available are obvious attractions. Any potential development should be looked at in detail, taking into account the local economy, employment opportunities as well as the impact on the environment and local communities.*A circular economy is an alternative to a traditional linear economy (make, use, dispose) in which we keep resources in use for as long as possible, extract the maximum value from them whilst in use, then recover and regenerate products and materials at the end of each service life)

Actions: Monitor planning applications for activities on Hunterston site. Look for alternative opportunities using clean energy e.g. solar plant. Possible meeting with Kenneth and/or Patricia Gibson once planning applications known.

8) A78

KST read out response received from Neil Lang, Transport Scotland Regional Manager.

Traffic lights – statistics show that average speeds have now reduced to those before speed activation of the traffic lights since adjusting camera sensors. This is not a desirable response. No similar schemes have been implemented in Scotland.

NL also acknowledges that the average speed between Jetty Rd and the Causeway lights have increased slightly, as have the speeds on the south gateway. The speeds at the north gateway have decreased extremities of the village.

NL looking in to traffic island removal and safety measures at Dawn Homes site

Action: KST to press NL for Transport Scotland to attend September or October meeting.

9) Hunterston Power Station A – Cladding Colour

Local consultation on preferred colour of decommissioned building. 17/00740/PP | Proposed replacement weather envelope cladding to reactor buildings and associated works (revised design to cladding approved under planning permission ref. N/01/00286/PP)

SSG not asked at recent meeting.

After discussion those present agreed to be as unobtrusive as possible the building cladding should be similar to ‘Hunterston B’.

Action: RH to feedback recommendations.

10) Dawn Homes Phase 2/3 planning application

KST talked through FCC’s detailed response to the above application based on all issues raised at the public meeting of the 17th July 2017. This response is posted on the FCC website and has been circulated to all who left an e mail on the 17th July 2017.

As Dawn Homes have already been given planning permission in principle the best outcome is ensuring that NAC listen to the real concerns and the negative impact to the village is minimised.

AOB

  1. Public Toilets

KST still awaiting response from NAC re: potential funding options. Option to apply for Lottery Funding. Zoe McLean asking for volunteers to help with this. Cleaning and maintenance would have to be carried out by village residents.

IM raised similar concerns that NAC ‘public toilets’ are not sufficiently cleaned and managed and is raising with NAC.

  1. Planning Application for 8 house at Southannan Estate

Planning permission has been granted by NAC Officers, despite land not being identified correctly in Local Development Plan.   DT raised issue of NAC selling land at low price as initial conditions precluded further housing development.

  1. Closure of Children’s Play Park, Pier Road

DN raised concern that children now playing near railway line as a result of the closure.

Next Meeting: Monday 4th September 2017